Join us and enjoy Cantigny everyday!
Position: Part-Time Historic Vehicle Technician
Reports to: Assistant Curator, First Division Museum, Cantigny
About the First Division Museum
The First Division Museum (FDM) at Cantigny Park, part of the Robert R. McCormick Foundation, promotes public learning about America’s military heritage and affairs through the history of the Big Red One—the famed 1st Infantry Division of the U.S. Army. It stands in tribute to all who have served our country in the armed forces. The museum’s main exhibit hall transports visitors to the trenches of World War I, the beaches of World War II and the jungles of Vietnam. Outside, tanks are displayed from every era, along with personnel carriers and artillery. The Robert R. McCormick Research Center, open to the public, houses the museum’s library, archival and photo collections. Visit the First Division Museum at Cantigny online at www.FirstDivisionMuseum.org.
Conduct maintenance repairs, restoration and operation of the historic vehicle fleet. Usages of stabilization research for static armored vehicle and artillery collection under supervision of Assistant Curator. Assists the Assistant Curator with establish work schedule based on the realities of the operating fleet and programming schedules, monitors authentic representation and professionalism of volunteer re-enactors during such programs in support of the active 1st Infantry Division; veteran’s organizations; the active military services; Cantigny Park, and the Robert R. McCormick Foundation.
- Attends and supervises all historic vehicle events: maintain a physical appearance befitting a 20th Century United States soldier
- Supervises the vehicle volunteer program and assists in the exhibit of the historic vehicles
- Assists with the motor pool’s operation, documentation and activities in order to present and interpret First Division history
- Speaks to the public and representing the First Division Museum in a wide range of situations
- Maintain established safety rules for the use of personal protection equipment, the proper operation of tools/machinery and the handling of a variety of materials.
- High school diploma, knowledge and understanding of American history
- Possess automotive and basic carpentry skills
- Impeccable character and integrity, possess Illinois FOID card, valid Driver’s License
- Familiarity with historic military vehicles operation and maintenance
- Ability to operate a manual transmission
- Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs.
- Require to work in variable weather conditions
How to apply for this job:
Interested applicants must submit a resume at: CZielinski@firstdivisionmuseum.org