The Great Captains in American History
A History Institute for High School Teachers
Saturday, April 20, 2013 to Sunday, April 21, 2013
Building on our successful history weekend in 2012 on “Great Battles in American History,” we now invite teachers to apply for a weekend-long program on "Great Captains in American History," covering those American military leaders who made great marks on U.S. history through their generalship.
The distinguished scholars David Eisenhower, Jim Lacey, Edward G. Lengel, Peter Mansoor, Allen Peskin, Jean Edward Smith, Lewis Sorley, and Samuel Watson will cover great military leaders from General George Washington to General David Petraeus.
This program is sponsored by the Foreign Policy Research Institute's Madeleine and W. W. Keen Butcher History Institute in cooperation with the First Division Museum at Cantigny, a division of the Robert R. McCormick Foundation. This is the eighth in a series of weekends devoted to Teaching Military History.
What Participants Receive
Social studies and history teachers, curriculum supervisors, and junior college faculty are invited to apply for participation in the History Institute. Forty participants will be selected to receive:
- free room and board;
- assistance in designing curriculum and special projects based on the History Institute;
- stipends of $200 for well-developed lesson plans for posting on our website that effectively utilize the experience of the weekend conference, or documentation of in-service presentations based on the weekend;
- partial travel reimbursements (up to $250) for participants outside the vicinity of the conference center;
- subscription to Footnotes, FPRI's bulletin for high school teachers.
- a certificate of participation in a program offering 12 hours of instruction. In addition, for those interested, college credit is available for a small fee through our cooperating institution, Carthage College in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org a resume and a short statement describing your current teaching or professional assignments, your reasons for wanting to attend, and how your students or school district will benefit from your participation. NOTE: At the time of application, you are asked to make a commitment either to prepare a curriculum unit based on the weekend or to do in-service activities based on the weekend.
Schools with a school membership in FPRI's Wachman Center are guaranteed one place at one History Institute weekend per year (but be sure to note your school's membership on your application). For information about school membership, contact Eli Gilman at email@example.com.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2013 (best to
Videotapes of the entire conference will be posted subsequently on the FPRI website.
For information about future and previous programs visit: http://www.fpri.org/education/historyinstitutes.html
For information about FPRI's Military History program visit: http://www.fpri.org/education/militaryhistory/